What is SAD, and what can I do to relieve it?
Seasonal Effective Disorder, or SAD as it better known, can really creep up on you at this time of year. Symptoms can show themselves in numerous ways, including –
- Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day
- Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
- Having low energy
- Having problems with sleeping
- Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight
- Feeling sluggish or agitated
- Having difficulty concentrating
- Feeling hopeless, worthless or guilty
The main causes of SAD are –
- Your biological clock (circadian rhythm). The reduced level of sunlight in autumn and winter may cause winter-onset SAD. This decrease in sunlight may disrupt your body’s internal clock and lead to feelings of anxiety and/or depression.
- Serotonin levels. A drop in serotonin, a brain chemical – a neurotransmitter – that affects mood, might play a role in SAD. Reduced sunlight can cause a drop in serotonin that may trigger depression.
- Melatonin levels. The change in season can disrupt the balance of the body’s level of melatonin, which plays a role in sleep patterns and mood
There are a number of ways to treat SAD –
Go out and get some exercise. Exercise fills you with the feel good endorphin rush, and will help alleviate SAD.
Light Therapy is also known to help reduce SAD; and you can purchase a lamp that will help reduce the effects by replacing the loss of natural daylight.
Cognitive Hypnotherapy can also help with SAD
This is one of the recommended ways to help reduce it. The symptoms of SAD cause you to want to withdraw; to stay in bed, stay away from social interaction etc. In just one session with a therapist, they will help you think and feel differently so you can take control of those thoughts that are causing you to be affected by SAD, and thus help you to think and feel differently about yourself.
So, if you know someone who may be suffering with SAD at this time of year, tell them it really doesn’t have to be. Thoughts are just thoughts, and there are numerous tools and techniques than can quickly and effectively help alleviate the way SAD makes you feel.
If you would like to know more on Cognitive Hypnotherapy can help people who suffer from SAD please get in touch or maybe point them to my free download . this will really help them available on the home page of this site
Further articles written by Rob can be found at Here